King Abdullah Economic City
A talk about SAC, Jeddah 21, 39, Saudi’s thriving art scene, the challenges that lie ahead and the accomplishments so far
1. Mohannad Shono(15 min)
2. Dana Awartani ( (15 min)
3. Majid Engawi (15 min)
Moderated by Till Fellrath
1. Vilma Jurkute: The Hub (Al-Serkal, Dubai)
2. Matilda Pye: The Non-profit (The Contemporary Curatorial Collective)
3. Rose Demir: The Museum (Guggenheim, New York and Abu Dhabi)
4. Nuria Medina The Cultural Centre (Casa Arabe, Madrid)
Chief Curator of Exhibitions, Royal Academy of Arts, London
New Director of the Palazzo Strozzi, Florence
A talk about the role of art institutions within the public domain through
1. Marwah Al-Mughait: On video (15 min)
2. Moath Al-Ofi: On photography ( (15 min)
3. Zahra Al Ghamdi: On installation (15 min)
1. Dr. Delayel Al-Qahtani: The Archeological Museum (The National Museum of Riyadh)
2. Vassilis Oikonomopoulos: The Modern / Contemporary Art Museum (The Tate -Talk a little about curating the Fakhrelnissa Zeid retrospective)
3. Aaron Cezar: The Artist Residency (Delfina Art Foundation)
4. Myrna Ayad: The Art Fair (Art Dubai)
Director, Palais de Tokyo, Paris
A talk about the role of art institutions within the public domain through the example of the PdT
1. Ahmad Angawi: Crash (15 min)
2. Abdullah al-Othman: Frozen( (15 min)
3. Frop and Muso: Graffiti (15 min)
Moderated by Aya Alireza
1. Ellie Buttrose: The Biennale (Asia Pacific triennial)
2. Roger Tately: The Gallery (Marian Goodman Gallery)
3. Venetia Porter: The Museum (The Hajj Exhibition)
4. Faisal Al-Amer, Malek Najr OR Abdel Aziz El-Muzainai):
Social Media (Masameer - includes a projection of one of their animations)
“21,39” is a non-profit initiative organized by the Saudi Art Council, a group of local art enthusiasts who wish to contribute to the local community through the promotion of art and culture in Jeddah.
Illustrating the geographic coordinates of the city (21.5433°N, 39.1728°E), “21-39” seeks to maintain and develop the phenomenon that has, for decades, seen Jeddah at the forefront of Saudi Arabia’s contemporary art scene.
The program will include curated exhibitions, gallery openings, workshops and a series of talks and discussions that aim to build bridges with the outside world through the universal language of art.
Of equal importance, “21-39” presents Saudis with an opportunity to view and appreciate the artistic culture that exists and is developing in their homeland.
By organizing an annual city-wide initiative encompassing a range of events, partners and locations, “21-39” offers an unforgettable journey into this historic city.